Wednesday, May 30, 2007

For the second time this month, Tinky Winky breathes a sigh of relief


According to Pink News, Ewa Sowinska is dropping her investigation of whether Teletubbies turns kiddies teh ghey. If you recall, the Polish ombudsman for children's affairs was concerned about--yawn--the fact that the male character Tinky Winky carries a purse. When I read the article in a rather cursory fashion, I realized they aren't likely to say a television program with a big ol' fuh-laming queen might just be innocuous, or even beneficial, to early childhood development. That's fine, I'm just as happy with them admitting that television (and this show in particular) is fantasy, and that it shouldn't all be taken so damn seriously.

Then I looked at the article again, and this quote from Sowinska's spokeswoman caught my eye:

"They are fictional characters, they have nothing to do with reality, and the bag and scissors and other props the fictional characters use are there to create a fictional world that speaks to children," Ms Lipinska said.

My second thought was "Obviously, these folks aren't so hostile to The Homosexual Agenda™ after all." My first thought, of course, was "They spelled her name wrong."